Thursday, September 23, 2004

Paleoquotology

Here's a challenge for netizenry: Is there a resource on the web that will tell me what a share of MCI, purchased in 1986, would be worth today? This question interests me because my wife recently received a notice from a New York bank asking her to send in her MCI stock certificate for conversion into an updated security (and before it gets classified as abandoned property). My wife had acquired the stock (two whole shares!) as part of a public school class project eighteen years ago.

Of course, since that time MCI grew, was acquired by Worldcom, and under Worldcom has suffered mightily along with much of the telecom world. So I'd be surprised if the updated securities could even buy us dinner. Still, I'm interested in how many times the shares may have split in their heyday, what the peak value was, and so forth. And while there are many quote servers and historical lookup resources on the internet, I don't know of one that would take the takeovers and conversions into account.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home