Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Yelling at my TV again

Some campaign commercial was yammering about how Congressman Bedfellow (not his real name) had increased funding for "first responders." This apparently is the hip buzzphrase for emergency personnel in the Homeland Security apparatus. Of course this catapulted my wife and I into a discussion about the drastically underfunded and neglected "second responders," which is to say, the gapers and the rubberneckers. What about them? Are they not also an integral part of any tragic scene?

The primary need among the second responders is, of course, a better view. Whether it's a matter of allowing the second responders closer or bringing the action closer to them is negotiable. But thus far I am aware of no major candidate who has chosen to help, much less champion the second responders, even though I have to believe this is an automatic vote-getter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home