Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Steroid season opener

I am neither a big baseball fan, nor a big fan of Congressional hearings on baseball, but I still got a dollop of amusement from the Sanchez suspension:
Outfielder Alex Sanchez of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays was suspended 10 days for violating baseball's new policy on performance-enhancing drugs, the first player publicly identified under the major leagues' tougher rules.
Sanchez says he committed no violation:
"I'm going to fight it, because I've never taken steroids or anything like that," said Sanchez, who was released by Detroit in mid-March and signed by the Devil Rays. "I never take any steroids because I don't need them."
Sanchez continues:
"I know I did nothing incorrect," he said."I take stuff I buy over the counter. Multivitamins, protein shakes, muscle relaxants."

[...]

Sanchez did not identify any of the products he purchased over the counter, but described them as "something to give me energy, put a little muscle on my body. That's it."
First off, if Sanchez never takes any steroids because he "doesn't need them," an enterprising reporter should ask whether Sanchez "needs" the protein shakes and muscle relaxants. If yes, why? If no, then that would seem to contradict Sanchez' "I never take because I don't need" philosophy.

Secondly, where is Sanchez shopping such that he buys muscle relaxants over-the-counter? Is he talking about the Dominican Republic, or the back of a gym?

And lastly, if Sanchez is so sure that he hasn't been using banned performance-enhancing substances, why does he not identify the products he used? Quite possibly it is because he is not sure, and would prefer not to know.

3 Comments:

Blogger 3XHAR said...

I am baffled at why Congress is in any way involved in the baseball/steroid question. It's my belief that government exists to protect it's citizens rights. Convening a Congressional hearing on the drug use of professional athletes is a waste of resources. Why is this a Congressional priority?

6/4/05 02:30  
Blogger Unknown said...

You guys know this is just begging me to make some sort of "Dirty Sanchez" remark, don't you?

6/4/05 02:57  
Blogger 3XHAR said...

I'm OK with a league regulating play and players. If MLB or the NFL state that to have a level playing field a player can't use X drug to enhance performance, that's fine. Players can agree (and play) or disagree (and not play) with the regulation and decide if agreement is worth the paycheck.

Tests that don't work shouldn't be used. I wouldn't accept tests that yield frequent false positives in any workplace.

8/4/05 01:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home