Saturday, September 17, 2005

Word verification ON

This blog is a backwater. I like it that way. So when I realized this week that my private pond had been sullied by a comment spammer, I went virtual-ballistic. As though any reader who would encounter the spammer's meaningless word salad would have the slightest interest in following the links. Ridiculous. But I am told, "Oh, no. They just want the link planted on your page to raise a page ranking in the search engines." Feh. They'll get no unearned benefits, metaphysical or otherwise, from the Jujj's virtual court.

I quickly expunged the spam and activated one of Blogger's newer features, the "word verification." Should you wish to post a comment here, you will be shown a graphic of a word and asked to type that word in as verification that you are a human being with eyeballs and a brain, and not some automated spam-planting engine.

Nay, if a spammer expects to profit in this venue, he'll need to be like the rest of us and actually read the blogs. Read, smile, and nod quietly as the bloggy essence sinks in. Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home