Friday, June 03, 2005

Legislating from the bumper

A bumper sticker I saw yesterday:
Save Roe Now
I've been having a really hard time trying to get a handle on this one. Are we talking about the person, or the court decision? Because the person is Norma McCorvey, and as far as I know she's doing fine and doesn't need saving (Christian evangelicals got to her already, in 1995). Or maybe the bumper sticker bearer wants to save Norma from the annual awkwardness of her daughter's birthday (the daughter the Supreme Court was too late to help her abort). We'd all have to band together to get 150th-trimester abortions passed for that, though.

If it's the court decision that's being referenced, this presupposes that Roe v. Wade is imperiled. I don't see it that way myself, but if true, what is Roe v. Wade in peril of? Realistically, it can only be in peril of being overturned by a new Supreme Court decision. Abort by the courts, die by the courts; that's the risk you run!

On a lighter note, I also saw this sticker on the same trip:
Be kind to animals
Don't eat them
I might be inclined to do this once animals have extended this courtesy to one another generally. And it's not as though I've been running around in the forest dragging elk down with my teeth, for heavens sake. As for the notion that I should lead by example, I've been doing a yeoman's job for years in areas such as (a) personal hygiene, and (b) not copulating in public, and I haven't noticed any inclination on the part of the animal kingdom to follow my lead. So for the handful of animals I intend to continue eating: you had it coming!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home