Friday, June 03, 2005

Memo to a car dealer

I have some suggestions for a certain area car dealer (you know who you are). When the cars you are selling are also an acronym for "Killed in Action," it's not a particularly good idea to be flashing "Memorial Day," "KIA," and "sale" across our television screens in succession. While you're at it, you might also consider not airing that particular commercial on the History Channel. During their broadcast of the Battle of Midway.

I'm not saying you need to apologize. I'm just saying that your marketing is probably not having the impact you intended.

I find it mildly reminiscent of the Sony VCR manual that showed Americans how to set the date to December 7th. Faux pas!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kwik2Jujj said...

I looked for links, but since it happened between ten and twenty years ago, I see no trace of the dustup on the internet. I remember that it was a minor stink. Of course Sony said it was entirely accidental. In retrospect, I'm inclined to believe Sony, since the Japanese would remember the date of that attack as December 8th.

I'd certainly welcome anyone else with any recollection of this backing me up. Like I said, it was pre-web-browsing era. Anyone have LexisNexis access?

3/6/05 19:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home